The original projects homepage had limited search options, inability to create nested folders and a load time of over 5 seconds. Administrators didn't have access to their pilot's projects and finding a project became a large burden when your list exceeded 25 projects. On top of that the list order would change constantly. Essentially, the dashboard could not scale.
A focus on technical improvements, search result optimizations, administrative access and general project and folder organization created a projects homepage that could allowed for customer growth and supported enterprise level clients.
From here the team and I decided on the direction of the final concept. We ran this by the Head of Product and our CEO for approval. After we received the thumbs up I put together wireframes so that engineering could start working on backend functionality while I started on high-fidelity.